Not all angle grinders are created equal, and the overall quality and additional features of an angle grinder will depend heavily on the manufacturer. Are there any angle grinder manufacturers who push the bar in terms of angle grinder customization?
Ryobi is one company that specializes in crafting versatile and powerful grinders that come with many wheels and wheel guard features that are usually the most discussed parts of an angle grinder in terms of accessibility.
Top 5 Best Ryobi Angle Grinder Reviews
In this article, we will explore 5 of the best Ryobi angle grinders (see on Amazon) on the market today with a review of the best features of each as well as the pros and cons. Additional questions will explore what you can expect with a Ryobi angle grinder and some FAQs about performance.
Ryobi specializes in angle grinders that are cordless and depending on the type of battery and grinder, can be interchangeable between a wide variety of other Ryobi power tools. If you are a proponent of being able to grind effectively without having to be straddled with a cord, then a Ryobi is the perfect brand of grinder for you to consider.
Furthermore, a Ryobi grinding tool is more lightweight than other angle grinder types, which is perfect for using the grinder on a wide variety of home-related tasks. Wheel changes and guards are also other specifics with grinders that can become restrictive during the grinding process.
Ryobi strives to make sure that each grinding wheel is easily applied or removed with the inclusion of a handy spanner wrench with most models. Additionally, most grinders can be difficult to maneuver when you need to perform a range of cutting depths, therefore, most Ryobi models come equipped with a spindle lock that can help maximize or minimize this difficulty.
Ryobi is an exciting and comprehensive brand when it comes to angle grinders.
Some of the most common features of Ryobi cordless grinders include:
- ONBOARD SPANNER WRENCH: Simplify your disc replacements. This spanner is stored on the grinder, so you don’t have to worry about losing it when you’re switching discs out for multiple applications
- 3 POSITION SIDE HANDLE: Whatever angle you’re attacking your job from, you’ll be able to get the optimal leverage with the help of the onboard plastic handle that adjusts as you need it
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE: A rubber over-mold covering the grip keeps up the friction between the tool and your hand, allowing for precise work in slippery environments and a perfect match with the 3 position side handle
- TOOL-FREE GUARD ADJUSTMENT: If you need to adjust the depth or angle of your cuts to suit different materials, you can do so with the push of a button
Speed, accessibility, comfort, and overall design are some of the standout features of a Ryobi angle grinder. All Ryobi models have a wide range of rpm speeds, which makes them ideal based upon the type of job you are needing to be done.
As previously mentioned, the differences in the weight of the tools can also play a key difference in how long a user can effectively grind or cut, therefore, the lightweight construction of a Ryobi model is perfect if you will be using the tool for hours at a time.
There is also a big difference in the motor design of Ryobi grinding tools due to the grinders being brushless, which takes away the need for the grinder to extend so much power on other mechanical actions in favor of focusing all of the grinders energy into the grinding, cutting, or other action that the tool is designed for.
Most of the batteries depending on the Ryobi model in question are cordless, which means you can take the grinder with you wherever you need to go and not have to worry about frequent battery changes, and best of all, not having to be concerned with finding an available electrical outlet as is common with other models.
The side handle of a Ryobi grinding tool is more comfortable than what is found on other side handle grips, which will leave your hands feeling at ease for hours at a time without the fear of losing grip. Ryobi models do have vibration, yet the vibrating movements are not as bothersome due to the ability to switch to a different mode on the side handle.
Value for Money
The price ranges for Ryobi grinding tools are usually affordable, which is the best standout overall. You get a high quality, portable grinder for a good price.
What’s great about Ryobi products is that these grinders are great for beginners or professionals alike, and the price reflects a good middle ground between the two.
The great thing about a Ryobi grinder is that this brand consistently strives to make a literal workhouse of a grinder. Whether you’re working on a plumbing job or are cutting metal down to size for a garage or other home improvement project, keep the Ryobi P423 in mind.
This powerful, cordless grinder can slice through a variety of metals with ease and accuracy. With a motor driving the grinding wheel up to 10,400 RPM (no-load), you’re sure to cut through PVC, other piping, welded metals, and more.
While a 4-1/2″ wheel is included for general DIY applications, you can always replace it. Replacement is easy with the inclusion of an onboard spanner wrench.
Keep multiple wheels on hand for whatever job comes up, and you can have them replaced in seconds. Beyond the powerful motor, there are a variety of features that give you optimal control, including adjustable side-mounted handle switches between 3 positions to give you maximum leverage wherever you work.
Additionally, the grip zone over-mold lets you maintain a tight hold, even in slippery conditions. Even the guard is adjustable, letting you work from the ground or on a ceiling without too much exposure to sparks.
No matter the application, if you’re cutting through metals, the Ryobi P423 will serve you well.
- Easy to simplify your disc replacements. This spanner is stored on the grinder, so you don’t have to worry about losing it when you’re switching discs out for multiple applications
- Whatever angle you’re attacking your job from, you’ll be able to get the optimal leverage with the help of the onboard plastic handle that adjusts as you need it
- A rubber over-mold covering the grip keeps up the friction between the tool and your hand, allowing for precise work in slippery environments
- If you need to adjust the depth or angle of your cuts to suit different materials, you can do so with the push of a button
- This 18V cordless power tool from Ryobi works with the 18V batteries in Ryobi’s lineup. These models include the P100, P102, P103, P104, P105, P107, and P108
- Heavy applications of pressure can make the grinder start and stop intermittently
- Ryobi grinders use up a lot of battery
- Prone to overheating
Angle grinders are indispensable for a variety of jobs done around the house–from cleaning grout to clearing rust to cut tile, nothing other than an angle grinder (or an expensive contractor) will get these difficult jobs completed. To perform these tasks to the best of your ability, you need the freedom to get into any of the tight spaces.
The Ryobi P421, with its rotating pistol grip and adjustable side handle, is the grinder for the job. It is ready right out of the box with an included grinding disc and spanner so you can replace it as soon as it wears down.
It is compatible with the Ryobi One+ lithium-ion batteries and the older NiCad models, so if you already have any Ryobi tools, you can use this one, too. You can position this angle grinder in almost any condition with the rubberized grip.
With Ryobi and the trusted One+ battery system, you simply cannot go wrong.
- The adjustable side handle works in three different positions and the triggered grip rotates 90 degrees so you can fit this tool almost anywhere you would need to grind
- An onboard pin wrench is included with the tool so you can easily replace grinder discs
- Comes with a type 27 grinding wheel included for metalworking or home improvement projects
- Rubberized notched grip near the trigger allows you to handle this tool in most conditions with grease or oil on your hands
- This tool works with Ryobi batteries from the One+ Lithium-Ion series and also older NiCad Models (Battery models include P100, P101, P102, P103, P104, P105, P107, P108)
- The wiring may lead to improper adjustments of the leads on the motor
- Grinding applications can become limited on a low battery
Ryobi makes power tools that are customizable to a range of different formats and setups, which is exactly the kind of versatility you get with the Ryobi GIDDS2. This model comes equipped with a visual LED bar graph that indicates the presence of voltage; the higher the voltage sensed, or the closer to the voltage source, the more LEDs light up.
Speaking of the model’s LED lights, a bright flashlight illuminates the work area and may be used independently of voltage detection function. This model may not have much horsepower due to the 2.1 amp rating, however, this Ryobi model is perfect for mounting smaller materials, which will make cutting and grinding easier to get through than a standard angle grinder.
- Ensures maximum user safety
- Compact and effective bench grinder for small jobs
- Works well with many grinding applications
- Low voltage
- Sensitive motor
- Prone to intense vibration
Take a look at this video to see this bench grinder fully displayed with the power running:
Sometimes an angle grinder can be a perfect tool for cutting small objects such as screws or bolts–but using a regular-sized grinder could be difficult and dangerous for these smaller tasks. Thankfully, Ryobi has introduced the One+ 18-volt rotary tool designed for drilling, sanding, shaping, detailing, and other light-duty jobs.
This compact, go-anywhere, use-anytime tool comes in extremely handy when used around the house for small grinding and cutting tasks. It features variable speeds and can be used with any accessory bit with up to a 1/8″ shank.
Certain grinding applications call for a grinder that can use all of the rpm power of a traditional grinder with pinpoint precision for the smallest of thick materials, and the Ryobi P460 is perfectly adept at doing just that.
- Variable speed up to 34,000 RPM for enhanced performance
- 36 in. flexible shaft pen design for ultimate precision and comfort
- 33 accessories included for a variety of applications
- Bare Tool, Battery, and charger sold separately
- Can be very noisy
- Not compatible with left-handed users
Ryobi introduces the Ryobi 4-1/2 in. 5.5-Amp Angle Grinder. This grinder uses a powerful 120-volt AC, 5.5-amp motor that can generate 11,000 RPM to handle most grinding applications.
A standout feature is that the handle of the grinder adjusts for right or left-handed position side handle with an additional possible vertical handle use while its spindle-locking button facilitates easy wheel changes. A metal grinding wheel included as is a wheel guard for additional protection.
Other related products for grinding may feel heavy but this model has a lightweight design that matches well to the Die-cast aluminum gear housing for increased durability.
For heavier duty grinding jobs, this grinder is an excellent choice.
- Lightweight design with 3-position handle for left or right-handed use with an additional possible v
- Tool-Free Adjustable Guard: Provides quick guard installations and adjustments
- Wheel guard adjusts for use in various applications
- Wrench storage inside the handle
- Die-cast aluminum gear housing for durability
- The wrench storage compartment can be difficult to open
- Spanner wrench can be difficult to operate
- Excessive vibration is possible
Ryobi Angle Grinder Buyers Guide
Buying an angle grinder by Ryobi can be a worthwhile investment. Keep these key points in mind:
- Always consider the disc size. Ryobi strives to make most of its models accessible with the industry standard of four and a half inches, which can be used for many smaller projects and most standard grinding and cutting projects. For larger projects, consider using a 6-inch disc. Some Ryobi models may have a grinding wheel included, therefore, just be sure the model you choose can support the task you wish to accomplish.
- Look at the motor output. All of the above-listed Ryobi models have a range of amp ratings depending on the type of grinder. Be sure to look for grinders that have an average of 2-15 amps of power, with 2-5 amps being ideal for small projects and higher amp ratings being more suited towards heavy-duty industrial work.
- A high rpm equals better performance. Unless you are working with tiny materials, such as what the Ryobi GIDDS2 can achieve, an rpm in the range of 5 to 15,000 rpm is always going to give off the best performance capabilities that are the signature calling card for angle grinders. The Ryobi P423 has nearly 11,000 rpm and can really offer the best experience possible with a Ryobi grinding tool. It really depends on what kind of tasks you will be using the grinder for, and then you scale up or down depending on the size of the project.
- Most Ryobi models are cordless. As you can see in the product reviews, there are a lot of benefits to be gained from using a cordless Ryobi model. But these types of grinders are certainly not for everyone. If you are used to using corded grinders, you may wish to stick with them, but Ryobi is great at installing long-lasting batteries in their grinders, which can make the stress of having to replace batteries much less.
- Wheel guards are in place to protect you. Wheel guards can be bothersome, especially when you have to grind or polish in tight spaces, yet you should always try to keep the wheel guard attached to prevent injuries. Ryobi has a wheel included that can adjust to many contours and patterns without making the job stressful, therefore, this brand gains another high mark for recognizing that wheel guards can be annoying and striving to make them more adaptable.
How to Choose the Right Ryobi Angle Grinder for You
Ryobi makes some of the best angle grinders on the market, yet it can be difficult to narrow down the exact model that you need since so many of this brand’s grinders are so versatile. Be absolutely sure about what you will primarily use the angle grinder for.
Ryobi power tools pack a lot of power and can be used for so many different things. Make sure you have the right model for what you need before you get the unit home.
The more durable and powerful the motor is, the better the grinder will perform for tasks like cutting and sharpening. Wheels are the heart and brain of an angle grinder, therefore, be sure you pick the right kind of Ryobi grinding tool that can conform to the size of the wheel you need.
Make sure you invest in a Ryobi grinding tool that has a strong and sturdy wheel that is not prone to wobbling and malfunctioning during excessive use. Be sure you know the difference between motor and grinding power based on how much and what type of work you will be doing.
If you work light, consider a less powerful motor for more flexible work Like the Ryobi GIDDS 2, if you will be using the grinder constantly and for a variety of tasks, invest in a unit with a powerful motor and wheel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Ryobi Tools Worth It?
Ryobi is a renowned company when it comes to power tools in general, and their line of angle grinders are no exception. An angle grinder should always strive to rise one step above many of the other types of models on the market, and Ryobi consistently makes that happen in terms of ease and accessibility.
Most models have a grinding wheel included and consistently receive 5 stars in ratings on Amazon and other tool retailers. With rpm speeds that range from as low as 2 and as high as 11,000 rpm, you will never have to worry about not being able to find an angle grinder that meets the needs you are seeking.
Ryobi makes an amazing angle grinder and is definitely worth it.
Does Ryobi Make a Cordless Grinder?
Most angle grinders by Ryobi are cordless, so yes, Ryobi is well-known for making cordless angle grinder models. Not having a cord attached to an angle grinder can free up a lot of slack that otherwise would have to be worked around, which can be a bother when you are having to do a task that requires a lot of movement around an object.
The Ryobi P421 is an ideal model of angle grinder that is cordless.
How to Take Disc Off of Ryobi Angle Grinder?
A disc can easily be taken off a Ryobi grinding tool with a spanner wrench, which is included in many Ryobi models. This wrench resembles a pitchfork and has two knobs on the end that you insert into the drive bolt to loosen the nut holes that attach to the disc.
To use this wrench, you simply hold the grinder’s lock button down to free up the wheel and lock the wrench into one of the holes. Twist the wrench in the opposite direction and keep twisting until the disc is free from the wheel.
It is worth mentioning again that you need to make sure to disconnect the power source of the grinder or remove the battery from battery-powered grinders. Your hands are exposed directly to the blade when you change a disc.
There can be variations when it comes to the size of the angle grinder. Perhaps you bought a new angle grinder that didn’t come with a tool and the older wrench does not fit one of the holes on the grinder wheel.
You can still use the wrench to remove the diamond disc since all grinders essentially have the same composition. The grinder nut can be removed with enough force and enough momentum that comes from turning and twisting the drive bolt and the nut.
It’s all about force and making sure you push the lock to loosen the wheel. Always turn whatever device you are using in the opposite direction and the drive belt will loosen with enough momentum.
The same principle applies with a battery-powered angle grinder as is seen with a corded angle grinder. A cordless angle grinder can present some new safety precautions that you need to keep in mind.
For a cordless angle grinder, always remove the battery before you begin to handle the disc. This can be easy to forget since you are not dealing with an electric tool.
How to Install a Diamond Blade on a Ryobi Angle Grinder?
Installing a diamond blade can be a breeze with a Ryobi grinding tool since many models come with a spanner wrench. Replacing the disc follows the same general pattern of removing a disc.
Always remember to hold the lock button in place as the disc will not move if the button is not held down.
Take a new disc and simply place the disc onto the grinder. Replace the nut and turn the nut in the opposite direction with the spanner wrench to lock the disc onto the grinder and keep twisting with the spanner wrench until tight.
Tighten the disc with the tool until the disc is firmly in place with no slack. The nut should not be the slightest bit loose; you don’t want to turn the angle grinder on and have a disc that flies across the room.
Most Ryobi models come with a wrench storage unit which allows you to keep up the wrench and not misplace it.
Is Ryobi Better Than Dewalt?
Overall, DeWalt angle grinders are a must-have for DIY enthusiasts and professional workers, such as welders fabricators, and plumbers. However, Ryobi grinding tools designed for people who have worked with professional tools before or, those who are new to the task of grinding.
Both brands are affordable and highly-rated, yet in terms of sheer versatility and innovation, Ryobi is consistently pushing the bar and coming up with radical new ideas and ways in which to evolve grinders into more accessible and comfortable power tools no matter how large or small your grinding project may be.
Both brands are amazing but give Ryobi a try and see if the customizations fit in with how well you prefer to work with grinders.
To sum things up, these 5 Ryobi models of an angle grinder are great examples of how a company can continuously push the envelope to create an angle grinder that is comfortable and powerful. Unlike other cordless angle grinders, Ryobi strives to make as many of their models as possible with interchangeable batteries, which can reduce the need to constantly buy new batteries.
Whichever of these models you choose, you are sure to feel satisfied with the superior performance techniques and top-notch accessories that come with an angle grinder by this brand.